Ingredients (Buy locally grown organic ingredients, if possible)
6 cups sarson (mustard greens), washed and roughly chopped
3 cups palak (spinach) leaves, washed and roughly chopped
1 cup methi (fenugreek) leaves, washed and roughly chopped
1/2 cup mooli (white radish), peeled and chopped (optional)
1/2 cup red onion, roughly chopped
1 inch ginger, peeled
2-3 cloves garlic, peeled (optional)
1 cup room-temperature water, more as needed
1 tablespoon makki atta (corn flour) mixed with 1/4 cup of water
1 Tablespoon ghee (make organic ghee at home)
1 pinch asafoetida powder (hing)
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder to taste
Rock salt (saindhav salt) to taste
Homemade butter and raw ginger slices for garnish
Equipment needed: Food Processor
1. Blend together mustard, spinach, and fenugreek leaves to a puree in the food processor. Add enough water to get the desired consistency. Transfer it to a large cooking pot.
2. Combine chopped radish, onion, ginger and garlic in the food processor and blend it to a fine paste using some water. Add this paste to the above puree and mix well.
3. Gently cook the puree at low-medium heat for approximately 30-45 minutes until greens are thoroughly cooked. If the puree look dry, add a few tablespoons of water and continue cooking.
4. Once greens are thoroughly cooked, add corn flour paste to it. Mix well and let it simmer for another 20-25 minutes until all the ingredients are well integrated. Stir 5-6 times in between so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
5. Heat ghee in a separate sauté pan over medium-high heat. When it is hot, add asafoetida and cumin seeds and allow to splutter. Add cooked greens, salt, turmeric powder, coriander and red chili powder. Mix well and let it cook for another 4-5 minutes. Served hot with melted homemade butter and raw ginger slices.
Add 3-4 thin slices of raw ginger, dipped in a little salt and lime juice just before serving to stimulate digestion.
Recipe inspired by Balwinder Mand
Improve your health physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually with Ayurveda!
Schedule An Ayurvedic Consultation today!