Ingredients (Buy locally grown organic ingredients, if possible)
6 Tablespoons ghee (make organic ghee at home)
1 cup besan (gram flour)
1/4 cup raw almonds, coarsely ground
1/2 cup fresh grated coconut or shredded coconut (optional)
5-6 green whole cardamom, freshly ground
1/2 cup water, room temperature
1 cup rock sugar (mishri) or raw sugar
1. Heat ghee at low-medium flame and add besan (gram flour) to it. Stir constantly to prevent burning and roast it until the color changes to deep golden brown.
2. Add crushed almonds and roast for 1-2 minutes. Add shredded coconut and freshly ground cardamom powder. Mix well and roast for another 1-2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
3. Lightly grease the bottom and sides of 8″ square glass pan with ghee and keep it aside.
4. To make sugar syrup, heat water in a separate sauce-pan, add powdered sugar and stir until sugar dissolves completely. Bring it to a boil while stirring well. Cook for another 2 -3 minutes at rolling boil and then take off stove.
5. Add the thick hot sugar syrup to besan (gram flour) mixture and mix thoroughly for 1-2 minutes. Gently pour evenly over a greased pan and let it cool overnight before cutting into desired shape. Enjoy.
Avoid consuming salty foods with milk preparations as it leads to incompatible food combination (viruddha ahaar) according to Ayurveda.
Recipe inspired by Sheela Gupta
Related: Rice Kheer (Rice Pudding) Recipe