We offer Kati basti, Janu basti, Greeva basti, and netra basti. Each therapy targets specific areas of the body and offers unique benefits. These therapies are part of a comprehensive Ayurvedic treatment approach that considers the person’s dosha (constitution), the underlying cause of the condition, and the overall well-being of the individual. The selection of a particular therapy depends on the individual’s needs, the specific condition being addressed, and the guidance of an experienced Ayurvedic practitioner. More details can be found as below:
The procedure for Basti involves the following steps:
- Preparation: The client lies face down on a massage table, and a small ring made of dough or a special reservoir made of black gram paste is created on the particular organ. This ring/reservoir acts as a container for the medicated oil.
- Filling the reservoir: Warm medicated oil, usually herbal oil specifically chosen based on the client’s condition, is poured into the reservoir and allowed to remain for a certain duration. The oil is kept warm throughout the procedure.
- Massage: While the oil is in the reservoir, the therapist may gently massage the surrounding area to further promote relaxation and enhance the therapeutic effects.
- Duration: The oil is typically left in place for about 20-30 minutes, or as recommended by the Ayurvedic practitioner.
- Removal of oil: After the prescribed time, the oil is carefully removed, and the area may be gently wiped clean.
Kati Basti is a specific Ayurvedic therapy that involves the application of warm medicated oil to the lower back region. It is primarily used to treat various musculoskeletal conditions affecting the lower back, such as lower back pain, sciatica, herniated discs, and degenerative spine conditions. Kati Basti provides several benefits to the client, including:
- Pain relief: The warm oil used in Kati Basti helps to soothe and relax the muscles and tissues of the lower back, reducing pain and discomfort.
- Improved circulation: The therapy enhances blood circulation to the lower back area, promoting the delivery of nutrients and oxygen to the affected tissues and facilitating the removal of metabolic waste products.
- Nourishment and lubrication: The medicated oil used in Kati Basti nourishes and lubricates the joints, muscles, and discs in the lower back, which can help improve their flexibility and function.
- Relaxation and stress reduction: The therapeutic application of warm oil in the lower back induces a state of relaxation, calms the nervous system, and helps reduce stress and anxiety.
Janu Basti is a treatment that involves applying warm medicated oil or herbal decoctions to the knee joints. The word “Janu” refers to the knee in Sanskrit. Janu Basti can be beneficial in the following ways:
- Knee pain and stiffness: Janu Basti helps to relieve pain, inflammation, and stiffness in the knee joints, making it beneficial for conditions like osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and knee injuries.
- Improved joint mobility: The warm oil or decoction used in Janu Basti helps to lubricate and nourish the knee joints, promoting better joint mobility and flexibility.
- Strengthening the knee structures: This therapy helps strengthen the muscles, ligaments, and tendons around the knee, providing stability and support to the joint.
- Prevention and management of degenerative conditions: Janu Basti can be useful in preventing the progression of degenerative conditions like osteoarthritis, and it can also help manage the symptoms associated with such conditions.
Greeva Basti involves the application of warm medicated oil or herbal decoctions to the cervical (neck) region. The term “Greeva” refers to the neck in Sanskrit. Greeva Basti can be beneficial in the following ways:
- Neck pain and stiffness: Greeva Basti helps to alleviate neck pain, stiffness, and discomfort caused by conditions like cervical spondylosis, cervical disc herniation, and muscle strains.
- Improved cervical mobility: The therapeutic oil or decoction used in Greeva Basti helps to improve the flexibility and range of motion of the cervical spine, reducing restrictions and enhancing mobility.
- Relaxation of neck muscles: The warmth and nourishing properties of the oil used in Greeva Basti help relax the neck muscles, relieving tension and promoting relaxation.
- Relief from associated symptoms: Greeva Basti may also help reduce headaches, shoulder pain, radiating arm pain, and numbness or tingling sensations in the arms caused by cervical spine issues.
Netra Basti: Netra Basti is a treatment that involves creating a reservoir of warm medicated ghee around the eyes. The word “Netra” refers to the eyes in Sanskrit. Netra Basti can be beneficial in the following ways:
- Eye health and vision improvement: Netra Basti helps to nourish and rejuvenate the eyes, promoting eye health and improving vision. It is beneficial for conditions like dry eyes, eye strain, tired eyes, and certain eye disorders.
- Relaxation and rejuvenation: The warm ghee used in Netra Basti helps to relax the eye muscles and the surrounding tissues, reducing eye fatigue and promoting a sense of rejuvenation.
- Lubrication and moisturization: The ghee provides lubrication and moisturization to the eyes, which can be particularly helpful for individuals experiencing dryness or discomfort in the eyes.
It’s important to note that Basti therapies may not be suitable for everyone. Contraindications for Basti include:
- Acute or severe conditions: If the client has a severe injury, inflammation, infection, or any acute condition in the targeted area (lower back, knee, eyes, or heart region), Basti may not be recommended until the acute phase has resolved.
- Open wounds, cuts, burns, or active skin infections in the specific treatment area may contraindicate until the skin has healed.
- Pregnancy: Basti is generally avoided during pregnancy, especially in the later stages.
- Certain medical conditions: Individuals with specific medical conditions such as uncontrolled diabetes, cancer, or organ failure may require modification or avoidance of basti therapies.
It is always recommended to consult with an Ayurvedic practitioner to determine the suitability and potential benefits of these therapies for your specific condition.