Ingredients (Buy locally grown organic ingredients, if possible)
4 cups milk, whole
4 Tablespoons ghee (make organic ghee at home)
7-10 cashews (optional)
7-10 raisins (optional)
4 cups grated carrots
2-4 threads of saffron (kumkum or kesar)
1 teaspoon green cardamom powder, freshly ground
1/2 cup rock sugar (mishri) or raw sugar
1. Boil milk on low heat until the milk is reduced by half. Stir often to prevent burning. Set it aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee in a large pot at low-medium flame. Roast the cashews and raisins. Set aside for garnish.
3. Add remaining ghee to the pot and sauté the grated carrots at low-medium heat until tender.
4. Add reduced milk, saffron and cardamom powder to it. Mix well and cook at low-medium heat until all of the milk has evaporated. Stir constantly to prevent burning.
5. Once the milk has evaporated, add sugar and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Garnish with cashews and raisins before serving. Serve hot or warm.
Avoid consuming salty foods with milk preparations as it leads to incompatible food combination (viruddha ahaar) according to Ayurveda.
Recipe inspired by Devi Bansal
Related: Rice Kheer (Rice Pudding) Recipe